F. Selected Grants and Other Collaborations
- “Transforming Texts: Computational Approaches to Text Analysis and Visualization” (2019),
co-PI with Pamela Smith (Columbia, History) and Steven Feiner (Columbia, Computer Science).
Team-taught course initiative, recipient of $150k award from Columbia’s Collaboratory Fellows
- “Digital Justice” (2015), Presidential Global Innovation Fund ($20k) in support of
international workshops on censorship and access to knowledge, leading to the “Architectures
of Knowledge” conferences in Mumbai and Lahore. Events covered in Daily Times, The Express
Tribune, and Urdu Point.
- Science Surveyor
(2014 – 16), co-PI with Marguerite Holloway (Columbia, Journalism), Dan Jurafsky (Stanford,
Computer Science) and Daniel McFarland (Stanford, Sociology). Visualizing the growth and decay
of shared knowledge. Recipient of Brown Center Media Innovation Award ($500k).
- Rikers Story Bot,
(2015 –) in collaboration with Columbia’s Center for Justice. Coding workshop and
algorithmic storytelling event set in and about Rikers Island correctional facility, New York
City’s main jail complex. Featured in Fast Company.
- Open Syllabus Project
(2013 – 15), co-PI with Joe Karaganis (American Assembly) and Alison Head (Harvard,
Information Science). Collecting and analyzing the world’s largest corpus of academic syllabi.
Recipient of $210k grant from the Sloan Foundation. Research featured in The New York Times,
TIME Magazine, Der Spiegel Online, FiveThirtyEight.
- piracylab.org (2013 – 14), PI. Research group exploring the impact of piracy on the spread of knowledge around
the world. Findings featured in Le Monde.
For a curated portfolio of projects, awards, and press coverage please visit
H. Honors, Prizes, and Fellowships
- Computational Narratology Research Fellowship and residency at the Institute for
Communication and Culture, with the Unearned Wealth research group at Aarhus University,
- Heyman Center Faculty Fellowship, Columbia University, academic year 2017 – 18.
- Media Studies Fellowship and residency at the Center for Digital Cultures, Leuphana
University, Germany, 2017.
- Columbia Lenfest Junior Faculty Development Grant in support of first book, 2015 – 16.
- Harvard Presidential Scholar, 2004 – 2012.
- Whiting Dissertation Completion Fellowship in the Humanities (declined), 2011.
- Harvard Merit Grant, 2009.
- Harvard Research Computing in the Humanities Fellowship, 2008 – 09.
- Harvard Instructional Technology Fellow, 2006 – 08.
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship, 2005 – 06.
made w/ vim + markdown + jekyll + tachyons +
CC BY-SA 2019