Publications and Works in Progress
- Plain Text: The Poetics of Computation.
Stanford University Press, 2017. Reviewed in Critical
(November 2017), and Textual
- “The Rise of American Formalism.” Modern Philology 117, no. 2 (November 2019): pages TBA.
- “Toward a Computational Archaeology of Fictional
Space.” New Literary History
49, no. 1 (2018): 119-47.
- “Laminate Text: The Strata of Digital
Inscription.” Amodern (December, 2017).
- “Unintelligent Design.”
Boundary 2 44, no. 2 (May, 2017): 145–56.
- “Book Piracy as Peer
primary author with Maxwell Foxman Computational Culture 4 (2014).
- “Sustainable Authorship in Plain
The Programming Historian (2014). Primary author with Grant Wythoff. Translated into Spanish
as “Escritura sostenible en texto plano usando Pandoc y
by Víctor Gayol (revisado por Antonio Rojas Castro y Maria José Afanador-Llach).
Modernism/modernity 21.1 (2014): 253–267.
- “Three Notes on Mary.” The Nabokovian 46 (2001): 24-25.
Contributed Essays & Chapters (Refereed)
- “Reading Platforms: A Brief History of the Electronic Book,” chapter submitted and
forthcoming in The Unfinished Book, ed. Alexandra Gillespie and Deidre Shauna Lynch.
Oxford UP, 2020.
- “Anonymous, Massively Collaborative, Trans-human,” chapter submitted and forthcoming in
Rethinking Authorship in Comparative and Historical Perspectives, ed. Haruo Shirane and
Tomi Suzuki. Iwanami Shoten, 2019.
- “Archive” in Literature: An Introduction to Theory and Analysis, ed. Mads Rosendahl
Thomsen, et al. Bloomsbury, 2017: 299-310.
- “Visual-quantitative Approaches to the Intellectual History of the Field” in Futures of
Comparative Literature, ed. Ursula K. Heise, et al. Routledge, 2017: 258-266.
- “Critical Computing in the Humanities” with John Simpson and Phillip Polefrone in Doing
Digital Humanities: Practice, Training and Research, Ed. Ray Siemens. Routledge, 2016: 85-103.
- “Blunt Instrumentalism” in Debates in the Digital Humanities, ed. Matthew K. Gold, et al.
Minnesota UP, 2016: 83-91.
- “Travelogue as Fact and Fiction.” Imaginäre Topografien: Migration und Verortung, ed.
Klaus Müller-Richter and Ramona Uritescu-Lombard. Transcript-Verlag, 2007: 99-111.
- “Dennis Tenen on Exposed: Desire and Disobedience in the Digital Age by
Bernard Harcourt.” Los
Angeles Review of Books (2016). Included in the The Digital Revolution:
Debating the Promise and Perils of the Internet in the Last Years of the Obama
(LARB, 2017), ed. Michele Pridmore-Brown & Julien Crockett.
- “What Is? Nine Epistemological Essays by Johanna
Design and Culture, 7.2 (2015): 264-5.
- “Writing Technology: The Circle by David Eggers and Mad About a Boy by
Public Books (2014).
- “History and Poetics of Intertextuality by Marko Juvan.” The Slavic and
East European Journal 56.2 (2012): 309.
- “Vokzal, Garazh, Angar: Vladimir Nabokov I Poetika Russkogo Urbanizma by
Yuri Leving.” The Slavic and East European Journal 49.4 (2005): 688–89.
Manuscripts in Progress
- “Author Function: Artificial Intelligence and the Automation of Literary Labor.” Book
manuscript under contract with The University of Chicago Press as of February, 2019.
- “Distributed Agency in the Novel.” Article under review, Spring 2019.
- “The Evolution of Literary Cooperation.” Book manuscript in progress.
- “Media Migrant,” chapter forthcoming in Understanding Flusser, Understanding Modernism,
ed. by Aaron Jaffe , Rodrigi Martini, and Michael F. Miller. Bloomsbury, 2019.
- “Computational Narratology: Time, Space, and Agency in the Novel.” Book manuscript in early
stages of development.
made w/ vim + markdown + jekyll + tachyons +
CC BY-SA 2019