- Dissertation prize committee, spring 2018.
- Committee for Undergraduate Education, 2016–
- Committee for Graduate Education, 2012–15.
- Senior essay advising and undergraduate prize committee participation,
- Weekly lab meetings with the Group for Experimental Methods in the
Humanities. Workshops and lecture series,
- Executive Committee, Institute for Comparative Literature and
- Faculty Working Group on Computational Humanities and Social
- Collaboratory Proposal Selection
- Data Science Taskforce, 2015–
- Ad-hoc Exploratory Committee for the Center for Culture and Computation,
- Founding Member. Digital Storytelling
- Advisory Board. Studio at Butler Library
(maker space), 2013–
- Member of “Literary Theory” and “Theory and History of Media” university
- Multiple contributions to the “Strategic Plan for Humanities in the Arts and
- Principal convener (along with Manan Ahmed and Roosevelt Montas) of the
“Connected Core” pilot program as part of the university-wide “Core to
Commencement” campaign, funded by the College Dean’s office.
- Yuliya Grinberg, “Sensored: Quantified Self, Self-Tracking, and the Limits
of Radical Transparency.” External reader, dissertation defense committee,
- Agie Markiewicz, “College Student Literacy Practices in Online Asynchronous
Discussion Spaces.” External reader, dissertation defense committee, spring
- Jonathan Reeve, “Computational Approaches to the Study of Literary Style.”
Oral exam committee, 09/2017–06/2018.
- Gabrielle Dacosta, “The Reading Self in George Jackson’s Soledad Brother.”
MA thesis advisor, 09/2016–06/2017.
- Maxine Arndt, “Women and Animals in The Woman Warrior and My Year of
Meats.” MA thesis advisor, 09/2016–06/2017.
- Sierra Eckert, “Sociology of Literature” reading list. Oral exam committee,
- Phillip Polefrone, “Technology and Society” reading list. Oral exam
- Jessica Hallock, “Literary Theory” reading list. Oral exam committee,
- Alice Boone, “The Progress of Error: or, the Recursive 18th Century.”
Dissertation defense committee, spring 2014.
- Graham Sack. Dissertation defense committee, 2014–
- Florence Wan Yu Ang, academic advisor, 2017–18.
- Isabel Guan, academic advisor, 2017–18.
- Gianmarco Saretto, academic advisor, 2014–15.
- Jeremy Stevens, academic advisor, 2014–15.
- Erica Grove, academic advisor, 2013–14.
- Becky Bort, academic advisor, 2013–14.
Misc. Theses, Independent Studies
- Elena Goldstein, “Big Brother all Grown Up,” independent study, fall 2014.
- Christopher Brennan, “Personal Social Networks and Deliberative Democracy in
the Russian Anti-Putin Protest Movement,” senior thesis, spring 2014.
- Jessica Tyler, “The New Opposition, The Russian Language Blogosphere and its
Impact on Public Discourse,” senior thesis, spring 2013.
- Book manuscript reviews for Cambridge UP, Columbia UP, MIT Press, and
- Peer review for The American Academy in Berlin; Computational Culture;
Digital Studies / Le champ numérique; International Journal of Humanities
and Arts Computing; National Science Foundation; Modernism/Modernity;
Science, Technology & Human Values, & Association of Computational
- Program Committee, International Conference of Computational Linguistics,
Workshop on Trolling, Aggression and Cyberbullying (2018).
- Program Committee, Association for Computational Linguistics, Abusive
Language Workshop (2017, 2018).
- Knowledge design consulting for Diller Scofidio + Renfro (2017).
- 2 years as a managing editor of Modernism/Modernity.
- 5+ years application development (Microsoft).
- 5+ years web design with an emphasis on content management systems (clients
include General Motors, The Greening of Detroit, MRI, MSU Libraries and
- 2+ years desktop publishing as editor/researcher for Physician’s Press.
made w/ vim + markdown + jekyll + tachyons +
CC BY-SA 2018