- Associate Director of Graduate Studies, 2018/2019.
- Dissertation prize committee, 2017/2018.
- Committee for Undergraduate Education, 2016/2018.
- Committee for Graduate Education, 2012/2015.
- Senior essay advising and undergraduate prize committee participation,
yearly since 2012.
- Weekly lab meetings with the Group for Experimental Methods in the
Humanities. Workshops and lecture series,
- Executive Committee, Institute for Comparative Literature and
- Faculty Working Group on Computational Humanities and Social
- Collaboratory Proposal Selection
- Data Science Taskforce, 2015–
- Ad-hoc Exploratory Committee for the Center for Culture and Computation,
- Founding Member. Digital Storytelling
- Advisory Board. Studio at Butler Library
(maker space), 2013–
- Member of “Literary Theory” and “Theory and History of Media” university
- Multiple contributions to the “Strategic Plan for Humanities in the Arts and
- Principal convener (along with Manan Ahmed and Roosevelt Montas) of the
“Connected Core” pilot program as part of the university-wide “Core to
Commencement” campaign, funded by the College Dean’s office.
- Milan Terlunen (Columbia English), “Literary Theory” reading list, oral exam
- Naomi Michalowicz (Columbia English), “Narratology,” reading list, oral exam
- Maxwell Foxman (Columbia Communications), “Playing with Virtual Reality:
Early Adopters of Commercial Immersive Technology,” dissertation defense
examiner, spring 2018.
- Yuliya Grinberg (Columbia Anthropology), “Sensored: Quantified Self,
Self-Tracking, and the Limits of Radical Transparency,” dissertation defense
examiner, spring 2018.
- Agie Markiewicz (Teachers College), “College Student Literacy Practices in
Online Asynchronous Discussion Spaces,” dissertation defense examiner,
- Jonathan Reeve (Columbia English), “Computational Approaches to the Study of
Literary Style,” reading list, oral exam committee, 09/2017–06/2018.
- Gabrielle Dacosta (Columbia English), “The Reading Self in George Jackson’s
Soledad Brother,” MA thesis advisor, 09/2016–06/2017.
- Maxine Arndt (Columbia English), “Women and Animals in The Woman Warrior
and My Year of Meats,” MA thesis advisor, 09/2016–06/2017.
- Sierra Eckert (Columbia English), “Sociology of Literature” reading list, oral
exam committee, 09/2016–06/2017.
- Phillip Polefrone (Columbia English), “Technology and Society” reading list,
oral exam committee, 09/2015–06/2016.
- Jessica Hallock (Columbia English), “Literary Theory” reading list, oral exam
committee, 09/2015– .
- Alice Boone (Columbia English), “The Progress of Error: or, the Recursive
18th Century,” dissertation defense examiner, spring 2014.
- Graham Sack (Columbia English), dissertation defense committee, 2014–
- Florence Wan Yu Ang (CU English), academic advisor, 2017–18.
- Isabel Guan (CU English), academic advisor, 2017–18.
- Gianmarco Saretto (CU English), academic advisor, 2014–15.
- Jeremy Stevens (CU English), academic advisor, 2014–15.
- Erica Grove (CU English), academic advisor, 2013–14.
- Becky Bort (CU English), academic advisor, 2013–14.
Misc. Theses, Independent Studies
- Elena Goldstein, “Big Brother all Grown Up,” independent study, fall 2014.
- Christopher Brennan, “Personal Social Networks and Deliberative Democracy in
the Russian Anti-Putin Protest Movement,” senior thesis, spring 2014.
- Jessica Tyler, “The New Opposition, The Russian Language Blogosphere and its
Impact on Public Discourse,” senior thesis, spring 2013.
- Book manuscript reviews for Cambridge UP, Columbia UP, MIT Press, and
- Peer review for The American Academy in Berlin; Computational Culture;
Digital Studies / Le champ numérique; International Journal of Humanities
and Arts Computing; National Science Foundation; Modernism/Modernity;
Science, Technology & Human Values, & Association of Computational
Linguistics (ACL), Digital Scholarship in the Humanities (DSH).
- Program Committee, International Conference of Computational Linguistics,
Workshop on Trolling, Aggression and Cyberbullying (2018).
- Program Committee, Association for Computational Linguistics, Abusive
Language Workshop (2017, 2018).
- Member of A. Owen Aldridge Prize Committee, American Comparative Literature
- Knowledge design consulting for Diller Scofidio + Renfro (2017).
- 2 years as a managing editor of Modernism/Modernity.
- 5+ years application development (Microsoft, Windows Group).
- 5+ years user interface design with an emphasis on content management
systems (clients include General Motors, The Greening of Detroit, MRI, MSU
Libraries and Computing Provost).
- 2+ years desktop publishing as assistant editor/researcher for Physician’s
made w/ vim + markdown + jekyll + tachyons +
CC BY-SA 2019