Talks, Workshops, & Conferences
- “Character and Agency in Arthur Hailey’s Airport.” Talk by invitation at
the Harvard NHC Novel Theory seminar on April 2, 2018.
- “Computational Archaeology of Fictional Space.” Lecture by invitation at
Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities and Center for Literary
& Comparative Studies, Maryland University on March 29, 2018.
- “Phenomenological Models of Time in William Faulkner’s The Sound and the
Fury.” Workshop by invitation to Aarhus University on March 23, 2018.
- Principal convener of “Architectures of Knowledge: Lahore” conference.
“Archives Anonymous, Massively Collaborative, Trans-human,” lecture.
Information Technology Institute, Pakistan on March 14-15, 2018.
- “American Formalism and the Automation of Intellectual Labor.” Lecture by
invitation at the Becoming Media conference, UCLA on February 23, 2018.
- “Literary Modeling and Visualization.” Lecture by invitation to the School
of Communication and Culture, Aarhus University (Denmark) on January 5, 2018.
- “Experimental Criticism: The Creative Limits of Artificial Intelligence.”
Talk by invitation to the Center for Digital Cultures at Leuphana University
(Germany) on December 20, 2017.
- “Infrastructural Reading: Content, Medium, Context, History.” Lecture by
invitation to the Internet Cultures Symposium at Yale on December 2, 2017.
- “Plain Text: The Poetics of Computation.” Book launch and talk by invitation
at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society, Harvard University on
November 28, 2017.
- “What is Enlightenment?: Immanuel Kant, Hannah Arendt, and the Continual
Relevance of Columbia’s Core Curriculum.” Lecture in discussion with Dean
Jim Valentini at the University of Chicago on November 6, 2017.
- “Computational Approaches to Characterizing Fictional Space.” Lecture by
invitation at the Theory and Media Studies Colloquium, Yale University on
October 13, 2017.
- “Sustainable Authorship in Plain Text” and “Plain Text: The Poetics of
Computation.” A workshop and lecture by invitation at the Digital Humanities
Forum, Kansas University, on September 29, 2017.
- “Modeling Space: Quantitative Parsimony in Computational Literary Analysis.”
Lecture by invitation at the Analysing Text conference hosted by the Alan
Turing Institute at the British Library, London on September 22, 2017.
- “Version Control for Textual Criticism.” Lecture and workshop by invitation
at the What is a Book in the 21st Century? seminar, Columbia University on
January 20, 2017.
- “Technologies of Dissent: Shadow Libraries.” Lecture by invitation at the
The Black Sea Networks Initiative, Columbia University on January 20, 2017.
- “The Sociology of Book Piracy.” Lecture by invitation at the Digital
Humanities Symposium, Yale University Library on November 12, 2016.
- “Experimental Methods in the Humanities.” Lecture by invitation at the
Scandinavian Modernism and Digital Resources workshop at Aaarhus University,
Denmark on September 14, 2016.
- Principal convener of Architectures of Knowledge: Mumbai conference at the
Tata Institute for Social Sciences on July 4-6, 2016.
- “Literature Down to a Pixel.” Conference presentation as part of the
Ephemera and Ephemerality: Media, Archive, Memory panel at ACLA (Harvard
University) on March 17-19, 2016.
- “Metaphor Machines.” Lecture by invitation at the Digital Poetics
Conference, CUNY Graduate Center on February 5, 2016. Presented also at
Possibilities: Works-in-Progress seminar, Institute for Comparative Literature
and Society, Columbia on 14 November, 2016.
- “Rapid Prototyping of Speculative Thought.” Talk by invitation at Digging
Deep: Ecosystems, Institutions and Processes for Critical Making, CUNY
Graduate Center on December 1, 2015.
- “Scene Detection in Literary Fiction.” Paper by invitation at the New
Digital Resources and Computational Methods for the Study of Literature in a
Global Context Conference, UCLA on November 4-5, 2015.
- “Digital Humanities: Core Skills and Foundations.” Workshop by invitation at
the Polonsky Foundation Graduate Student Workshops in Digital Humanities,
NYU on May 29, 2015.
- “Version Control for Library Use.” Workshop by invitation at Columbia Center
for New Media Teaching and Learning on February 5, 2015.
- “The Ethics of Writing in Plain Text,” with Grant Wythoff. Lecture by
invitation at the Princeton-Weimar Summer School for Media Studies on June
- “Rage with the Machine.” Keynote address at the University of Glasgow on May
- “Technology We Deserve.” Keynote address at the Educational Technology
Conference, Columbia University Teachers College on May 18, 2014.
- “Introduction to Cloud Computing with Amazon AWS.” Workshop by invitation at
the Digital Praxis Seminar, CUNY on March 14, 2014.
- “Book Piracy as Peer Preservation.” Lecture by invitation at the Connective
Media talk series, Cornell Tech (New York, NY) on March 6, 2014. Repeated on
March 14, 2014 at a meeting of the Association of American University Presses,
hosted by Columbia University Press.
- “Civic Scholarship.” Lecture by invitation at the Research Without Borders
conference, Columbia University on February 27, 2014.
- “Visualizing Book Piracy.” Conference address by invitation at Detective:
Advanced Data Visualization Project, Graduate School of Architecture,
Columbia University on February 3, 2013.
- “Algorithmic Agency.” Lecture by invitation at the Cognitive Theory and the
Arts Seminar, Harvard Humanities Center on November 21, 2013.
- “Authoring in Plain Text.” Workshop by invitation at the Center for Science
and the Imagination, Arizona State University on November 15, 2013. Repeated
at the Comparative Literature Colloquium at Harvard on November 22, 2013.
- “Literary Networks.” Lecture by invitation at the Digitization in the
Humanities conference, Rice University on April 6, 2013.
- “Digital Humanities in Context.” Lecture by invitation at the Harriman
Institute, Columbia University on February 21, 2013.
- “Interpretive Communities over Time.” Lecture by invitation at the Big Data
and Digital Scholarship Seminar, Columbia University on February 11, 2013.
- “Hacking the Archive.” Lecture by invitation at the New Media in Education
Conference, Columbia University on February 1, 2013.
- “Digital Humanities at Columbia.” Lecture by invitation at the Integrative
Graduate Education and Research Traineeship, Department of Computer Science,
Columbia University on November 27, 2012.
- “Growth and Decay of Shared Knowledge.” Lecture at the Berkman Klein Center
for Internet and Society, Harvard University on April 3, 2012.
- “Reflections on the ‘Laboratory’ Paradigm in the Humanities.” Lecture at the
Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society, Harvard University on
December 13, 2011.
- “Nothing is at Stake, Everything is at Stake: Literary Studies Today.” Talk
by invitation at the Graduate Professional Development Seminar, Mahindra
Humanities Center, Harvard University on October 26, 2011.
- “Experimental Criticism: Is Knowledge Aggregation in the Humanities
Possible?” Conference presentation at ACL(x), Data Mining Panel, Penn State
University on October 1, 2011.
- “The Premise of Machine Literature.” Lectures by invitation at the
University of Iowa, Loyola University, University of Rochester on multiple
dates in 2011.
- “Recursive Encounters with Ourselves.” Lecture by invitation at the
Department of English and Comparative Literature, Columbia University on
January 26, 2011.
- “The Tyranny of Literature.” Lecture by invitation at the Thinking with
Technology Workshop, Harvard Humanities Center on November 15, 2010.
- “Order on Display: The Aesthetics of Soviet Data Visualization.” Paper
presentation at the AAASS Conference in Boston, MA on November 12, 2009.
- “The Birth of Non-Fiction.” Lecture at the Slavic Languages and Literatures
Colloquium, Harvard University in October, 2006.
made w/ vim + markdown + jekyll + tachyons +
CC BY-SA 2018