- Associate Chair, 2020 – 2021. Responsible for curriculum planning in response to the
- Group for Experimental Methods in the Humanities, founding
member. A research collective specializing in literary modeling and visualization, spatial
humanities, and knowledge design. Weekly lab meetings, monthly workshops, and lecture series. 2014 –
- Committee for Graduate Education: 2012 – 15, 2019 – 20.
- Associate Director of Graduate Studies, 2018 – 19.
- Dissertation Prize Committee, 2017 – 18.
- Committee for Undergraduate Education, 2016 – 18.
- Senior essay advising and undergraduate prize committee participation, yearly since 2012.
- Executive Committee, Institute for Comparative Literature and
Society, 2016 –
- Harriman Institute Executive Committee, 2021 – 22.
- Studio at Butler, founding member, faculty advisor.
Planning, specification, and programming of the Butler Studio, a maker/lab space at the
center of Butler Library. Hosting lectures, training workshops, and open labs. 2013 –
- Faculty Working Group on Computational Humanities and Social
Science, 2016 –
- Collaboratory Proposal Selection Committee, Spring 2016
- Data Science Taskforce, 2015 – 2017.
- Ad-hoc Exploratory Committee for the Center for Culture and Computation, 2014 – 15.
- Founding Member. Digital Storytelling Lab, 2013 –
- Advisory Board. Studio at Butler Library (maker space), 2013 –
- Member of “Literary Theory” and “Theory and History of Media” University
- Multiple contributions to the “Strategic Plan for Humanities in the Arts and Sciences,” 2016
- Principal convener (along with Manan Ahmed and Roosevelt Montas) of the “Connected Core”
pilot program as part of the university-wide “Core to Commencement” campaign, funded by the
College Dean’s office.
- Book manuscript reviews for Cambridge UP, Columbia UP, MIT Press, and Princeton UP.
- Peer review for national and international journals including Computational Culture;
Digital Humanities Quarterly (DHQ); Digital Studies / Le champ numérique; History of
Humanities; International Journal of Humanities and Arts Computing; Modernism/Modernity;
Science, Technology & Human Values; Association of Computational Linguistics (ACL);
Digital Scholarship in the Humanities (DSH); and Communication Theory.
- Grant review for The American Academy in Berlin and the National Science Foundation.
- Program Committee, International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING), Workshop
on Trolling, Aggression and Cyberbullying, 2018.
- Program Committee, Association for Computational Linguistics, Abusive Language
2017 – 18.
- Member of A. Owen Aldridge Prize Committee, American Comparative Literature Association, 2017
- Knowledge design consulting for Diller Scofidio + Renfro, 2017.
- 2 years as a managing editor of Modernism/Modernity, 2010 – 12.
- 10+ years software development and user interface design, with employees including Microsoft,
General Motors, The Greening of Detroit, MRI, MSU Libraries and Computing Provost 1996 – 04.
- 2+ years desktop publishing as assistant editor/researcher for Physician’s Press, 1998 – 00.
made w/ vim + markdown + jekyll + tachyons +
CC BY-SA 2021